Position Location: San Diego, CA or Philadelphia, PA (region) preferred; Washington, D.C., Houston, Raleigh, Chicago, Indianapolis acceptable
Chief Strategic Communications Officer
The Content Manager & Copywriter is responsible for the development of a variety of marketing and communications content for target audiences & internal stakeholders, including blog posts, email campaigns, event materials, newsletters, event scripts, and more. The ideal candidate for this role has experience crafting clear, concise and compelling copy for marketing and fundraising efforts, and has a proven ability to serve as the primary proofreader for the department. As part of the TMF’s Marketing & Communications department, this person will work well with designers, strategists and stakeholders to ensure collateral is tightly synchronized with TMF’s mission and strategic plan.
This person will be comfortable in a fast-paced environment that values creativity, self-motivation, candor, reliability, and accountability with an ability to prioritize, multi-task, and receive critical feedback, as well as the initiative to drive change. Flexibility and efficiency will be crucial.
Travis Manion Foundation (TMF) unites communities to strengthen America's national character by empowering veterans and families of fallen heroes to develop and lead future generations. In 2007, 1st Lt. Travis Manion (USMC) was killed in Iraq while saving his wounded teammates. Today, Travis' legacy lives on in the words he spoke before leaving for his final deployment, "If Not Me, Then Who..." Guided by this mantra, veterans continue their service, develop strong relationships with their communities, and thrive in their post-military lives by serving as character role models to youth. As a result, communities prosper and the character of our nation’s heroes lives on in the next generation.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Execute on-point copy deliverables, from research phases to post-production, including, but not limited to: blog posts, digital ads, emails, website copy, reports, special event and fundraising materials, video scripts, speeches, and other marketing communications projects of both short and long-form;
• Ensure consistent messaging across platforms, defending the brand integrity and voice of the Foundation;
• Create and maintain editorial style guidelines to ensure consistency across regions and departments; must serve as both copywriter and copyeditor on varying projects
• Liaise with Development and Programs staff to generate story ideas and compelling content to deepen affinity among donors and position TMF as a thought leader nationally; may serve in an internal journalistic role, conducting interviews and organizing compelling narrative content.
• Interpret digital media analytics reports to design and implement a content strategy to elevate brand awareness, using Google Analytics, and social media monitoring tools
• Edit copy and suggest revisions received from other content contributors based on internal & external feedback;
• Work directly with the communications team to shepherd projects through review process & proofing for production;
• Manage junior marketing & communications team members, as needed
• Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Journalism, Communications or related field
• A minimum of 3+ years of related experience;
• Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills; working knowledge of AP Style;
• Creative with the ability to adapt writing style and voice as necessary to communicate through varied mediums, both digital and print;
• Demonstrated ability to synthesize strategic messages and multiple opinions into consumer-friendly copy;
• Proficiency in Google and Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft Office; working knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Silver Stripe (CMS) and general project management softwares;
• Knowledge of market segmentation techniques; knowledge of veteran audience a plus
• Background in SEO best practices, including Keyword Research, on-page content optimization, tagging, etc.
• Evidence of effective use of research to inform copywriting
• Passion for the mission of Travis Manion Foundation.
The salary range for this position is commensurate with experience and demonstration of previous successes. TMF offers competitive medical & dental benefits, short-term disability and paid time off.
Qualified candidates for this position should submit a resume, three references, writing & marketing samples and a cover letter describing your background as relates to this position. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and all information must be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org