Full time – exempt
Chief Development Officer
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Development Officer will play a critical role in supporting the fundraising efforts of Travis Manion Foundation (TMF). TMF is seeking an entrepreneurial, self-directed team player committed to TMF’s mission to empower veterans and families of the fallen to develop character in future generations. The Development Officer (DO) maintains donor relationships across the corporate, foundation, and individual donor landscape, while working to broaden awareness of TMF’s mission and impact and aim to inspire others to serve and invest in the organization. The DO primarily supports the engagement and cultivation of TMF's individual mid-level donor base; facilitating donor meetings, while seeking out new opportunities for individual giving.
About Travis Manion Foundation
Travis Manion Foundation (TMF) unites communities to strengthen America's national character by empowering veterans and families of fallen heroes to develop and lead future generations. In 2007, 1st Lt. Travis Manion (USMC) was killed in Iraq while saving his wounded teammates. Today, Travis' legacy lives on in the words he spoke before leaving for his final deployment, "If Not Me, Then Who..." Guided by this mantra, veterans continue their service, develop strong relationships with their communities, and thrive in their post-military lives by serving as character role models to youth. As a result, communities prosper and the character of our nation’s heroes lives on in the next generation.
In a report released by Best Nonprofits in April 2019, TMF was recognized as a top 10 “Best Nonprofit to Work For.”
Duties and responsibilities
- Engages in the direct cultivation and solicitation of donors and prospects, including through in-person meetings, telephone, written solicitations/proposals, email, and other means tailored as specifically as possible to donor preferences.
- Utilizes the Foundation’s CRM database and other available research and analytical tools to identify, qualify, segment, cultivate, solicit, and steward the portfolio
- Assists the Chief Development Officer with any special projects, especially those related to individual giving, including but not limited to fundraising events, direct response efforts planned giving, and/or administrative tasks.
- Direct account management of assigned portfolio of current, lapsed, and prospective donors
- Support TMF Development strategic plan through fundraising strategies and activities to ensure proper acknowledgment, recognition, and stewardship of donors
- Build working relationships and serve as development liaison to select corporate and foundation partners, both current and prospective
- Local and out-of-town travel required
- Night and weekend availability required when needed
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the mission and core values of TMF.
- Results – a proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, and experience
- Relationship Building – ability to effectively network and build relationships with local businesses, business leaders and veteran serving organizations
- Action/Deadline Oriented – ability to meet strict deadlines and action upon opportunities with little notice
- Team Player – collaborates with teammates and puts the needs of the organization first
- Fundraising—2+ years of experience in Business Development role or Fundraising /Annual Fund role (must be continuous experience; individual fundraising endeavors counted on case-by-case)
- Communication--Must possess great verbal/written communication skills and feel comfortable with public speaking
- Educational Background – undergraduate degree required
- Nonprofit development, business development, or sales experience
- Established network within Veteran Service Organizations
- Established network with local business community or working knowledge of engagement opportunities
- The salary for this position is commensurate with experience. Benefits include a competitive salary with medical benefits, paid vacation, 401(k) and sick leave.
- Qualified candidates should submit a resume and salary requirements, and a cover letter describing his or her background as it related to the position description
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis
- Submit all information via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
**No phone calls or faxes. Due to the volume of applications, TMF cannot notify applicants of the status of their applications unless an interview is requested. Travis Manion Foundation encourages all qualified candidates to apply. TMF is an equal opportunity employer.