Director, Data & Technology
Chief Operating Officer
The Director of Data & Technology leads the Data & Technology team, strategy, and execution. They are responsible for the strategic direction of the organization’s technology stack, data collection processes, and impact reporting. This position will oversee the team who supports the rest of the organization with their technical, reporting, and management tool needs. This position is also responsible for building and managing TMF’s technology budget. The ideal candidate has a technical leadership background and has experience in a change management role.
This is a remote position with preference near a Travis Manion Foundation office.
About the Travis Manion Foundation
Travis Manion Foundation (TMF) unites communities to strengthen America's national character by empowering veterans and families of fallen to develop and lead future generations. In 2007, 1stLt Travis Manion was killed in Iraq while saving his wounded teammates. Travis' legacy lives on in the words he spoke before leaving for his final deployment, "If Not Me, Then Who..." Guided by this mantra, veterans continue their service, develop strong relationships with their communities, and thrive in their post-military lives by serving as character role models to youth. As a result, communities prosper and the character of our nation’s heroes lives on in the next generation.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Data & Technology’s duties include managing the Data & Technology team, creating and stewarding the strategic direction for the department, and building/maintaining the overall technology plan and budget. This position is responsible for the organization’s data and technology security and related policies and for consistently ensuring TMF’s platforms meet modern standards. This person plays a large change-management role assisting other departments as they improve their processes and assess technology needs. This role requires good organization and exceptional project management skills. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Oversee strategic roadmap as TMF executes its 10-year strategy, which includes heavy technology implementation during phase 1 (~3 years) followed by growth during phases 2 and 3.
• Manage a department of 4 people (which will likely grow over the next five years).
• Stakeholder management to donors (who invest in our technology), programmatic partners, and staff.
• Responsible for maintaining documentation and visualization to staff/external stakeholders.
• Responsible for data and technology security issues and policies across the organization.
• Oversee data collection, impact reporting, and program evaluation.
• Oversee implementation of performance dashboards.
• Project management of user experience of TMF’s technology including our automated volunteer onboarding system, learning management system, and other volunteer management tools.
• Grows and manages the all-volunteer Tech Advisory Board.
● Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field; minimum of 5 years’ experience serving in technology or change management leadership role.
● Demonstrates exceptional computer skills and a general level of comfort with technology.
● Experience with technology administration and/or technical management is preferred.
● Experience with databases, preferably SalesForce, is required.
● Experience with data wrangling tools such as Alteryx, marketing tools such as Pardot, and data visualization tools such as Tableau is preferred.
● Highly competent with Microsoft Office Suite and G-Suite is a plus.
● Experience with SAAS tools like Slack, Zoom, and AirTable is a plus.
● Previous experience with administrative technical work is a plus.
● Strategic thinker who is also able to execute and manage technical projects.
● Self-starter with excellent organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills; must be self-reliant and initiative-driven, while still being an effective and collaborative team member.
● Excellent and persuasive communicator with exceptional written, oral, and presentation skills. This includes effectively summarizing technical details to a non-technical audience.
● Remains focused and efficient in the face of pressure, delivers results with timelines; not intimidated by complex tasks, challenging timelines, or a fast-paced work environment.
● Energetic, flexible, and proactive with dedication to the mission of the Travis Manion Foundation and a passion for service and community development.
Earlier this year, Travis Manion Foundation was recognized as a top 10 “Best Nonprofit to Work
for” by the Nonprofit Times.
The salary range for this position is commensurate with experience. TMF offers a benefits package,
which includes medical and dental, short-term disability, long-term disability, life and participation
in our 401(k) program, to name a few. In addition, we have an attractive PTO policy along with
holidays and paid parental leave.
Equal Opportunity Employer
TMF is committed to an environment in which all individuals are treated with respect, dignity and
equal opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color,
religion/creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender or gender
identity, age, genetic information, marital and partnership status, familial status, alienage or
citizenship status, handicap, disability or perceived disability, pregnancy, arrest or conviction
record, consumer credit status, unemployment status, caregiver status, victim of domestic
violence, sexual violence or stalking, military and veteran status and any other category protected
by federal, state, city and local laws.
At TMF, one of our main priorities is to create an inclusive culture where all forms of diversity are
seen as real value for our leaders, staff, board, members and those we serve. Many of the
greatest ideas come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are
committed to cultivating an inclusive environment.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume and a cover letter (with salary requirements)
describing their background as it relates to the position description. Applications will be
accepted on a rolling basis until a final candidate is selected. Submit all information via email to
**No phone calls or faxes. Due to the volume of applications, TMF cannot notify applicants of the
status of their applications unless an interview is requested.**