Public Relations Senior Manager
Chief of Strategic Communications
The PR Manager will direct and lead Travis Manion Foundation’s public relations strategy with the goal of making our organization a household name in the years to come. In this role you will manage media relations, announcements, editorial placements, and press opportunities for TMF’s leadership team across television, radio, streaming, print, and other related mediums. You will develop strategy and regularly coordinate with TMF’s Alexandria, VA-based PR firm and lead the creation of talking points, press kits and releases, and supporting materials that spotlight TMF’s impact on the community. Candidates are passionate about telling powerful stories, identifying creative inroads to bring TMF’s narrative to the larger public, and are agile in responding to the quickly changing landscape and needs of the public relations sphere. The PR Manager will also manage TMF’s broadcast advertising channels, to amplify brand awareness across cable/network television, and radio, streaming, as well as large scale or print publications.
The Public Relations Manager will be based out of the Philadelphia, PA area (including our Doylestown, PA Headquarters) or Washington, DC; remote opportunities may be available for exceptional candidates, provided they live in a large east coast media market. The list of duties and responsibilities below does not cover the full scope of the position but serves to illustrate some of the areas of emphasis for the position
About the Travis Manion Foundation
Travis Manion Foundation (TMF) unites communities to strengthen America's national character by empowering veterans and families of fallen to develop and lead future generations. In 2007, 1stLt Travis Manion was killed in Iraq while saving his wounded teammates. Travis' legacy lives on in the words he spoke before leaving for his final deployment, "If Not Me, Then Who..." Guided by this mantra, veterans continue their service, develop strong relationships with their communities, and thrive in their post-military lives by serving as character role models to youth. As a result, communities prosper and the character of our nation’s heroes lives on in the next generation.
Duties and Responsibilities
PR Strategy and Execution
- Develop and execute a full PR strategy with the support of TMF’s PR firm and leadership team; this includes identifying both earned and paid media opportunities to communicate TMF’s impact and stories during critical dates of recognition such as Memorial Day, September 11th, and Veterans Day, as well as throughout the year.
- Build out messaging materials including press releases and kits, member highlight story packages, media pitch packets, and staff talking points
- Champion, maintain and refresh (as needed) TMF’s brand voice and identity within the media; identify new and creative opportunities to present TMF to new and nontraditional audiences.
- Remain up-to-date on PR and marketing trends and proactively recommend new programs, tactics, or platforms to enhance and grow our media presence
- Develop and execute local PR strategy for individual TMF markets in conjunction with national TMF engagement events such as 9/11 Heroes Run, Operation Legacy, The Honor Project, Manion WOD, and more. This includes outreach to local/national media members for pitching of upcoming opportunities.
Research, Analytics, and Tools
- Develop and maintain standardized performance-tracking practices that closely monitor TMF’s visibility in the media by regularly presenting reports on audience engagement and reach
- Regularly evaluate metrics to identify key markets and demographics where TMF is most impactful
- Ongoing management and updates to local market media lists
- Management of Cision PR software to track mentions, media hits, impressions, and ad values.
- Steward existing key relationships with stakeholders and partners within TMF’s media network including but not limited to: national and local radio and television broadcasters and public broadcasting companies.
- Build new and ongoing relationships with key members of the media to leverage TMF as the subject matter expert in matters impacting veterans and families of the fallen.
- Work closely with key partners on logistics and execution of pre-existing and new public-facing promotions to elevate the TMF brand and impact.
- Develop and execute advertising strategy for TMF’s television, radio, and streaming opportunities
- Manage pre-existing broadcast opportunities and distributions with national and local TV/radio/streaming partners.
- Hire and lead intern to support PR efforts during busy times of year (example: Summer for 9/11 Heroes Run promotional season)
- Manage TMF Special Events support on-site for critical functions like annual gala, golf outings, 9/11 Heroes Run, and various development/fundraising events.
- Bachelor’s Degree, ideally within business, marketing, advertising, PR, etc.
- Minimum of 6 years of related experience within marketing, advertising, and/or PR, with a majority of role in public relations.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills;
- Ability to think strategically, execute tactically, and work flexibly and efficiently.
- Must be comfortable in fast-paced environment that values creativity, self-motivation, candor, initiative, reliability and accountability with an ability to prioritize, multi-task and the initiative to drive change
- Must be familiar with communications technology platforms such as Skype, Zoom, etc...
- Experience managing PR and advertising software programs like Cision, Meltwater, and Plowshare considered a plus
- Must be deadline driven and available to work during non-traditional hours to keep up with the constantly-evolving needs and landscape of news cycle
- Must be dedicated to the foundation’s mission and has a passion for service/community development
- Experience within a PR agency or military public affairs office a strong plus
- Experience in audio and video editing is a plus
- Experience in Special Events Management is a plus
Earlier this year, Travis Manion Foundation was recognized as a top 10 “Best Nonprofit to Work for” by the Nonprofit Times.
The salary for this position is commensurate with experience. TMF offers a benefits package, which includes medical and dental, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance and participation in our 401(k) program, to name a few. Other perks of being on the team include: an unlimited PTO policy and a generous holiday schedule that includes a full week paid time off between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day; an annual, 2-day leadership and staff development training; additional personal and professional development opportunities.
Equal Opportunity Employer
TMF is committed to an environment in which all individuals are treated with respect, dignity and equal opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion/creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender or gender identity, age, genetic information, marital and partnership status, familial status, alienage or citizenship status, handicap, disability or perceived disability, pregnancy, arrest or conviction record, consumer credit status, unemployment status, caregiver status, victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking, military and veteran status and any other category protected by federal, state, city and local laws.
At TMF, one of our main priorities is to create an inclusive culture where all forms of diversity are seen as real value for our leaders, staff, board, members and those we serve. Many of the greatest ideas come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive environment.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume and a cover letter (with salary requirements) describing his or her background as it relates to the position description. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until a final candidate is selected. Submit all information via email to email@example.com
**No phone calls or faxes. Due to the volume of applications, TMF cannot notify applicants of the status of their applications unless an interview is requested.